Watch this 30 for 30 short on “The Irrelevant Giant”, John Tuggle (VIDEO)
The folks over at ESPN’s always-awesome 30 for 30 documentary series have delivered yet again, this time with their newest short, “The Irrelevant Giant”, documenting the short but memorable career of Giants Fullback/Special Teams maven John Tuggle.
As the final pick of the 1983 draft out of California, Tuggle was dubbed “Mr. Irrelevant”, and naturally wasn’t expected to make much of an impact in the NFL. But rookie head coach Bill Parcells saw something special in Tuggle, who not only earned a spot on the team, but was names Special Teams player of the year for the Giants in his first year.
“For all the players that I’ve ever coached in my lifetime, there have been a few – John being among them – that had some attributes that you couldn’t see,” recalled Parcells in the documentary. “You had to gain an understanding of this guy’s determination, his will, those kinds of things. Just walking around you don’t gain an appreciation for anything like that. It has to be gained under duress, during times of pain, during times where we all have to go to those dark places and respond.”
Sadly, Tuggle was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in 1984, ultimately leading to his death in 1986. But even though his time was cut short, the impact Tuggle had on his teammates, fans – and particularly on hall-of-famer Parcells – can still be felt today.
WATCH VIDEO AFTER THE JUMP
- Countdown to the Draft: 1 day
- The long, sad road of William "The Refrigerator" Perry (VIDEO)
- Week 3 "C'mon Man" Lowlights (VIDEO)
- The NFL draft sure was different back in 1981 (VIDEO)
- Justin Bieber: "Seriously, bro, what's up with Brady's hair? I own this look."
- Watch Keith Olbermann destroy Prisco column on concussion settlement (VIDEO)
- Hooray for Draft Week!! Hooray I say.
- VIDEO: Bart Scott treats Sal Paolantonio like Mean Gene Okerlund
- Cold diss: ESPN's AFC North preview completely ignores the Browns...
- Watch Jon Gruden interrogate Andrew Luck (VIDEO)