Adam Schefter ponders the Madden Curse’s effect on Peytons everywhere (PIC)
Today’s deep thought comes to us via Adam Schefter’s Twitter, where he wondered aloud whether the infamous Madden Curse might be stronger than ever:
Mind = Blown.
It really makes you wonder why anyone would ever want to be on the cover of Madden at this point … let alone campaign for it like Rob Gronkowski did this off-season.
Fortunately for Pats fans, Gronkowski got knocked out of this year’s voting in the quarterfinals by Calvin Johnson, who will now square off against Aaron Rodgers in the semis, prompting Packers Nation to flood the voting for Johnson to keep Rodgers away from the cover. On the other side of the bracket, favorite Cam Newton is up against surprise #11 seed Patrick Willis, who narrowly defeated Victor Cruz to advance in the quarters, much to the delight of Giants fans everywhere.
I’m not sure if this is quite what EA Sports had in mind when they opened the cover up to fan voting, but it at least makes things interesting.
CHECK OUT A LIST OF MADDEN CURSE VICTIMS AFTER THE JUMP
- Garrison Hearst, 49ers – 1999: Broken ankle, out for two seasons
- Barry Sanders, Lions – 2000: Retired before the season. Never played again
- Daunte Culpepper, Vikings – 2002: Broke single season record for fumbles, 23 INTs in 2002
- Michael Vick, Falcons – 2004: Broken fibula in pre-season, played 5 games that year. Later sent to prison for dog fighting ring
- Donovan McNabb, Eagles – 2006: Sports hernia in first game of season, torn ACL and meniscus ending his year
- Shaun Alexander, Seahawks – 2007: Broken foot, missed six games. Never returned to form
- Vince Young, Titans – 2008: Injured his knee in first game of season. Benched for Kerry Collins and didn’t start again that year
- Brett Favre, Packers – 2009: Came out of retirement to play for Jets. Embroiled in sexual harassment scandal after texting pics of his junk
- Troy Polamalu, Steelers – 2010: sprained MCL in first game of season, missing four games. After returning, suffered a torn PCL ending his season.
- Peyton Hillis, Browns – 2011: hamstring injury in first game forced him to miss 6 games and was in the doghouse all season in contract disputes. Released without an offer.
- Mark Ingram, Jr. gets an emotional message from his dad after being drafted (VIDEO)
- UPDATED - Jason Pierre-Paul throws teammate Prince Amukamara into a cold tub (PIC & VIDEO)
- Jeremy Shockey scoffs at LeBron James' football-playing abilities
- Tim Tebow gets a super new haircut
- General Larry Platt sings "Pants on the Ground" for Vikings (video)
- Oh yeah, the Pro Bowl is today (LINKS)
- Kerry Rhodes and Rodney Harrison: One, Two, Three, Four, I declare Twitter War!
- Did the Refs Cost Arizona the Game on Victor Cruz' fumble/non-fumble? (VIDEO)
- Ray Lewis shares seat with Lombardi Trophy on flight home (PHOTO)
- Turn Out The Lights, the Party's Over ... Transformer Explodes at Candlestick Park on MNF (GIF)