Remember Giovanni Carmazzi? Yeah … he’s a yoga-practicing goat farmer these days
One of the big stories this week has been ESPN’s documentary “The Brady 6″, which looks at Tom Brady’s selection in the 2000 NFL draft, and the 6 quarterbacks who were taken ahead of him. After believing he would be taken somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd, Brady and his family had to watch as he plummeted to #199 overall. Based on the teasers, the most newsworthy item from the film seemed to be the fact that Brady choked up when recalling his draft day experience. The blogosphere went wild over this footage of a teary-eyed Brady, but when the program aired last night, we found another nugget of information to be the most enlightening.
Among the marquis names chosen before the 3-time Super Bowl Champion were Chad Pennington (No. 18, Jets), Giovanni Carmazzi (65, 49ers), Chris Redman (75, Ravens), Tee Martin (163, Steelers), Marc Bulger (168, Saints) and Spergon Wynn (183, Browns). As lifelong 49ers fans, the Bradys were particularly upset that their home team had passed on their son, but the San Francisco brain trust – which included Bill Walsh and Steve Mariucci - were more enamored with Carmazzi, a physically gifted QB from Hofstra who had wowed scouts at the combine and workouts.
As we know, Carmazzi struggled with the leap from 1-AA Hofstra to the big time, and retired from the NFL in 2001 without ever playing a regular season down for the 49ers. He had five operations on his shoulder and played two years of football in Canada before retiring from the sport in 2005. And apparently Carmazzi values his privacy these days, because he declined to be interviewed by ESPN for this documentary … which pretty much made him fair game for the producers to paint him however they like. So they decided to depict Carmazzi like this:
“(He) does not own a television and declined to be interviewed. He lives two hours north of San Francisco, and describes himself as a yoga-exercising farmer … He has five goats.”
Ouch. From top NFL prospect to hermit yogi goat farmer in just over a decade. Quite a precipitous fall. Not as bad as Marinovich or Leaf or anything, but still …
- Why rush the Braylon Edwards trade?
- Watch this 30 for 30 short on "The Irrelevant Giant", John Tuggle (VIDEO)
- Reminder: Frontline's "League of Denial" premiers tonight on PBS (VIDEO)
- Richard Sherman destroys Skip Bayless on First Take (VIDEO)
- Brett Favre is settling in as High School coordinator quite nicely (VIDEO)
- The long, sad road of William "The Refrigerator" Perry (VIDEO)
- America thinks Jay Cutler is the least likeable QB in the NFL
- SportsCenter: The Chattering Din
- Justin Bieber: "Seriously, bro, what's up with Brady's hair? I own this look."
- Cold diss: ESPN's AFC North preview completely ignores the Browns...